Geology is the science which is devoted to the study of earth. It deals with all the features of the earth’s surface and with the origin, composition, structure and inhabitants of the earth.
Branches of Geology
The subject of geology is very large and it is divided into several branches which are as follows:
- Physical Geology: It is concerned with the work of natural processes which bring about changes upon the earth’s surface.
- Mineralogy : It includes the study of minerals.
- Structural Geology : It includes the study of stratified rocks in the earth’s crust.
- Petrology: The discussion of different types of rocks is known as petrology.
- Stratigraphy : It is concerned with the study of stratified rocks and their correlation .
- Palaeontology : It deals with the study of fossils.
- Historical Geology : The study of stratigraphy and palaeontology is included under historical geology. It gives us a picture of the land and seas, the climate, and the life of early times upon the earth.
- Economic Geology : It deals with the study of minerals of economic importance.
- Mining Geology : It is concerned with the study of application of geology to mining engineering.
- Engineering Geology : It includes the study of application of geology to Civil Engineering.